Full-Time Jobs at Still I Rise International School (2 Positions)
On 8 December 2020, we inaugurated the Still I Rise International School in Nairobi, thanks to the support of many friends and donors. Our school is located in Mathare, Nairobi, an area strategically chosen to welcome the city’s forgotten children.
- Location; Nairobi
- Salary RangeKSh 30,000 – KSh 50,000/month
Location: Mathare, Nairobi, Kenya
Direct Supervisor: Head of Teaching and Learning
Contract: Internship with stipend, potentially leading to a longer term contract
Compensation: Dependent on Experience
Are books a lifelong passion you want to share with others?
Do you watch TV shows and movies from around the world?
Are you naturally curious about everything and feel the need to research?
Do you look forward to organising events and parties?
Do you like to keep a space beautiful and well designed?
Can you connect with teenagers and light up their passions too?
And do you want a job where you’re rewarded to be creative, energetic and fun?
If so, read on!
Still I Rise is an international NGO with a humanitarian mission to provide protection and quality education to refugee and underprivileged youth. Our flagship institution is our International School in Mathare, Nairobi. Here, we are passionately engaged in one of the world’s most ambitious, unique and exciting educational projects: to offer the very highest quality of schooling experience to some of the most disadvantaged children in East Africa.
We now seek an engaged and engaging person who combines energy, a love for a wide range of books and culture, and organisational skills. The role of Information and Cultural Professional at our school is completely unique so please read the range of responsibilities carefully.
If it sounds like your dream job, we can’t wait to receive your application!
- Support students to research and organise content from online and offline sources.
- Supervise the usage of the public computers and help students develop basic ICT skills.
- Lead the school’s implementation of our Academic Integrity policy, including coaching anti-plagiarism and bibliographic skills.
- Join the whole Education team’s efforts to instil critical, creative and analytical thinking.
- Spearhead programs to instil a love of reading and writing at our school (for instance, running a Reading Club, coordinating a poetry competition and internally publishing students’ writing efforts).
- Develop and lead activities which excite children about a variety of cultural forms: movies, drama, art, poetry, music, animation etc.
- Put East African cultural expressions in the spotlight.
- Create themed sections of the school’s physical space to promote specific cultural topics (for instance, turning a corner of the library for a month into a celebration of Ethiopian poetry).
- Collaborate with our Head of External Affairs to organise cultural events for the local community.
- Collaborate with our Head of External Affairs to organise partnerships with libraries in Nairobi, in Kenya and abroad.
- Provide advice and enthusiasm to get students reading ability-appropriate texts in the languages of operation at our school.
- Keep the library organised, accessible and attractive to all our students.
- Label, categorise and track books.
- Maintain and evolve the school’s procedures on borrowing and purchasing books and resources.
- Recommend new books and resources which our students will love.
- A very strong capacity for building organised spaces, processes and habits
- A visible love for all forms of learning
- An infectious passion for reading and culture
- A pride in the richness of East African and African cultural expressions
- Confidence and proficiency in ICT
- Experience in early childhood language teaching is considered an advantage
- Location; Nairobi
- Salary RangeKSh 30,000 – KSh 50,000/month
Direct Supervisor: Head of Teaching & Learning
Contract: Temporary, Renewable
Compensation: Dependent on experience
You will also have the opportunity to complement those classes with a modest number of introductory ICT classes. We do not require qualifications or experience in ICT teaching, but you must demonstrate interest and competence in everyday computer usage.
You join Still I Rise with a clear pathway of growth and promotion. We offer extensive professional development in a wide range of areas as well as full sponsorship of your participation in official IB training workshops.
We therefore hire proactive educators who demonstrate genuine care for each child, a hunger to offer them the best, and an infectious passion for the curricular and extracurricular activities they lead.
If you are a qualified teacher and this sounds like a challenge which suits you, we warmly invite you to apply!
- Plan, deliver and facilitate dynamic, active, and creative Design lessons for diverse classes of students aged 10-15. Create enhanced opportunities for real-life applications of concepts using available resources and project based learning.
- Plan and deliver introductory ICT classes on a weekly basis.
- Review and monitor the progress of all students and identify their individual learning needs. Differentiate instruction to meet those needs of the students, providing extra support to those students who are below grade level.
- Sensitively and appropriately provide pastoral care to our students from disadvantaged backgrounds. Handle urgent situations with consummate professionalism and in accordance with our Discipline Policy and Safeguarding Policy, utilising the school’s support network as necessary.
- Conduct regular formative and summative assessments, recording and reporting grades and performance.
- Attend and participate in regular professional development activities.
- Help our school excel with your participation and leadership in community engagement, competitions, school trips and other activities.
- Contribute to the development and leadership of our extracurricular programmes.
- Under the supervision of the Head of Teaching and Learning, provide feedback on quality and wellbeing to ensure programmes are designed, implemented, monitored, and evaluated to maximise positive impact on vulnerable children.
- Demonstrate the attributes of the “IB Profile” (https://www.ibo.org/benefits/learner-profile/), in particular ‘risk-takers’, ‘open-minded’ and ‘reflective’;
- Excellent written and oral English
- Academic or Professional Certificates;
- Completion of CRB/Background check;
- Bachelor’s degree in Design, Science, ICT, Education or related field or equivalent training and experience;
- At least two years of teaching experience;
- Competent ICT skills;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and organisational skills;
- Ability to mentor students on a daily basis;
- Resilience in a challenging and changing environment;
- The curiosity and willingness to develop and practise modern teaching techniques;
- Determined team player.
- Experience teaching low-achieving students
- Experience working with refugee populations
- Experience working with vulnerable people
- Experience in Child Safeguarding and Protection
- Teaching Service Commission (TSC) Number
How to ApplyCandidates are invited to submit their application including their CV, cover letter and TSC Number (if possessed) by emailing: email@example.com and specifying the subject “DESIGN TEACHER”. Please kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview. Thank you for your interest in Still I Rise. Diversity and inclusion are a central part of Still I Rise values at the highest level. As such it is key to our Organisation and staff to show a passion for excellence for bringing about positive change in all the communities we strive to serve. Our commitment to diversity is linked to our mission of providing quality education access to vulnerable youth and children in torn apart and remote areas across the world, which is essential in shaping and creating the organisation, serving all people, respectfully, connected to our scope. We recognise that everyone is different and that attracting, developing and retaining our employees will create a sustainable working environment which is essential to our success. We strongly encourage interested candidates from diverse backgrounds to submit their applications.
1217 total views, 1 today