Full-Time Legal Officer Jobs
Senior Legal Officer Job at Kenya Ports Authority
Kenya Ports Authority is a state corporation under the Ministry of Transport and Infrastructure established by an Act of Parliament on 20th January 1978 with the mandate to “maintain, operate, improve and regulate all scheduled seaports” situated along Kenya’s coastline.
Reporting to the Principal Legal Officer – Contracts & Conveyancing, the job holder is responsible for handling con-veyancing matters concerning the Authority which includes: commercial contacts and conveyancing.
Senior Legal Officer Job Responsibilities
- Exercising financial budgetary controls within the limit of authorised expenditure such as travelling expenses etc.
- Monitoring legal notices in the Kenya Gazette, legislation and sales of properties advertised by third parties to ensure that the Authority’s real property interests are safeguarded.
- Preparing legal documents, their execution and final disposal by leasing commercial contracts or conveyancing
- Advising on documents concerning land or conveyancing. Identifying change in land laws business activities and business trends e.g. leases and introduction of exclusive clauses, and therefore advising the User Division and relevant management and Board committees
- Undertaking any other specialised duties assigned by any other officer above him such as General Manager – Board & Legal Services and The Head of Contracts & Conveyancing
- Undertaking legal research on the laws relating to land and conveyancing and keeping abreast with the developments of these laws
- Dealing with a wide range of contracts on legal matters within the Authority external liaison with court official, third parties and legal representatives
- Responsible for having issues arising from land and contracts disputes. Supports the arbitration process and supports the legal office
Senior Legal Officer Job Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Maritime or Commercial Law or any other relevant field from a recognised institution
- Diploma in Legal Education
- Valid practicing certificate from the Law Society of Kenya (LSK)
- Advocate of the High Court
- Member of Law Society of Kenya (LSK)
- Senior Management Courses
- Good ICT skills
- Sound knowledge in Port Operations
- Demonstrated high degree of professional competency, administrative capabilities and initiative in the general organisation and management of legal affairs
- 5 years experience in a similar role in a reputable organization with at least 3 years experience at lower management level
Applicants will also be expected to fulfill the requirements of Chapter 6 of the constitution of Kenya. Specifically, they must obtain and submit the following certification:
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigations
- Clearance Certificate from the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB)
- Tax Compliance Certificate from the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
- Clearance from the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC)
- Clearance from the Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
How to ApplyIf your career profile matches the requirements of any of the above positions, please submit your application with a detailed curriculum vitae indicating your qualifications, experience, present position, e-mail address and mobile telephone number with copies of certificates, testimonials and Identity Card on or before 25th May, 2018 to The Managing Director, Kenya Ports Authority (KPA), P.O Box 95005 – 80104, Mombasa (Kipevu Road).
1046 total views, 1 today