Full-Time Job Openings at Shelter Afrique (3 Positions)
Shelter Afrique is the only pan-African finance institution that exclusively supports the development of the housing and real estate sector in Africa.
- Take the lead in developing overall business strategy and work with both the executive team and Board of Directors to define the direction of the organization.
- Communicate the organization’s objectives, strategies, policies, to stakeholders including Senior Management and staff.
- Coordinate, monitor and ensure the implementation of Shelter Afrique’s business strategy as approved by the Board of Directors.
- In consultation with the executive team, set performance targets for the organization and put in place mechanisms to achieve agreed targets.
- Develop and implement appropriate strategies to facilitate viable and sustainable investments.
- Develop annual budgets for the organization and ensure that implementation as approved by the Board.
- Maximize returns to shareholders and consistently exceed business targets.
- Provide strategic and administrative direction in all matters affecting the successful execution of the organization’s mandate within all its member states.
- Promote the interests and expansion of the organization both in business terms and regionally by ensuring growth diversification strategies and targets are achieved.
- Provide leadership in development of strategies, products and institutional systems and processes for sustainable business growth.
- Mobilize requisite resources and prudently manage and apply them to enable Shelter-Afrique fulfil its mandate.
- Lead the execution of the growth strategy, with an emphasis on originating, developing, and managing a portfolio of transactions consistent with the development impact and financial sustainability objectives of the organization.
- Establish a highly collaborative relationship management with all key policy makers, and stakeholders
- Promote the highest standards/culture of integrity, ethics, diversity and inclusion and corporate social responsibility.
- Ensure strict compliance with all policies, systems, and procedures to guide performance and ensure sound fiscal management of Shelter-Afrique.
- Attend all appropriate meetings of the Board and ensure decisions of the Board are effectively implemented.
- Facilitate the Board to articulate its own role and accountabilities and that of its committees and individual members.
- Work with the Board Chairman to enable the Board to fulfill its governance functions and facilitate the optimum performance by the Board and appropriate committees.
- Work with the Board Directors and Committee Chairpersons to get the best thinking and involvement of each Board Director and to stimulate each Board Director to give his or her best.
- Recommend resourceful professionals (co-opted) to participate in the appropriate committees to supplement the skills set of the Board.
- Demonstrate good corporate governance, provide leadership, manage the executive management team, and provide continued guidance to staff based on the core principles of ethics and hard work.
- Specify accountabilities for executive management and evaluate team’s individual performance regularly.
- Create a performance driven work environment that recruits, retains, and supports quality staff in line with the organization’s values.
- Develop best in class teams by nurturing mutual trust, respect, and cooperation amongst staff.
- Possess an elevated level of self-awareness, excelling at navigating a complex suite of key stakeholders.
- Demonstrate ability to lead and motivate diverse and multicultural teams in a challenging environment.
- Ensure the development of a healthy culture within Shelter Afrique and unite staff around values and objectives
- Direct the creation of policies and procedures necessary for the operation of the organization and implement policies and procedures as approved by the Board of Directors.
- Ensure full compliance with organizational statutes and host agreements in Member States where Shelter Africa has domesticated legal instruments of incorporation.
- Oversee and ensure strict compliance to established policies and procedures and implement a strong ethical environment within the organization.
- Guide direction of legal reform, review relevant statutes that may impact on mortgage financing and financial sector at large.
Communication and Public Relations
- Serve as chief spokesperson for Shelter Afrique, assuring proper representation of the organization to all relevant stakeholders.
- Communicate with external parties by representing the organsation to customers, Government, the public and other external stakeholders, including investors.
- Act as an advocate, within the public and private sectors, for issues relevant to Shelter Afrique, its mandate, services, and stakeholders.
- Develop a network of business relationships with partners and enhance the Company’s mandate across the member states.
- Ensure regular communication with the Chairman of the Board of Directors.
- Monitor the organization’s Risk and Governance systems to ensure that assets are managed in a manner that fully complies, in both spirit and letter, with the applicable rules, regulations and policies set by the Board.
- Recommend appropriate requirements and procedures governing the code of conduct of the organization in accordance with the ethical rules laid down by the Board and ensuring such rules are observed
- Facilitate the Board of Directors in establishing and quantifying the Board’s “risk appetite” i.e., the level of risk they are prepared to accept.
- Implement the overall risk management systems of the organization across all types of risks, including credit, operational, reputational and compliance risks.
- Support the independency of the Internal Audit function and address recommendations made in a timely manner.
Minimum Qualifications, Skills, and Competencies
- The Chief Executive Officer shall be a person with an impeachable clean leadership record, of integrity and of the highest competence with internationally recognized qualifications and extensive practical experience in matters pertaining to the activities, management, and administration of the Company.
- An advanced degree in Management, Economics, Finance, Law, Business Administration, Public Administration, Engineering, Built Environment or equivalent.
- A minimum of Fifteen (15) years’ relevant professional experience at a senior management/executive level in the design and execution of projects, programs and policies within an affordable housing bank, an international housing finance programme, or other related development finance institution.
- Rigorous and high Ethical standard individual, with strong analytical skills and sound business judgment.
- Professional, results-oriented approach with an aptitude for developing practical solutions and balancing long- and short-term trade-offs.
- Demonstrated capacity in leading senior management teams including cross-functional teams and ability to work effectively across institutional boundaries.
- Ability to deal with sensitive issues in a multi-cultural environment and to build effective working relations with colleagues.
- Advanced interpersonal skills, capacity to build strategic partnerships and manage diplomatic relations.
- Ability to manage heavy workloads as well as multiple, simultaneous and shifting demands, priorities and deadlines.
- Strong communicator (oral and written), with proven report writing skills.
- Ability to speak and write effectively in English and/or French, with a very good working knowledge of the other language is a prerequisite to this role.
- High proficiency in Microsoft standard softwares (Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint).
- Proactively analyze financial information and provide input to the Management and the Board on decisions that will create sound financial principals for the organization.
- In line with the annual budget cycles, review and recommend appropriate courses of action to ensure that Shelter Afrique achieves its financial targets over the long term.
- Develop optimal legal, tax and cost efficiency structures, consolidating businesses processes as may be determined from time to time.
- Develop and manage financial policies and procedures within accepted accounting principles and corporate guidelines across Shelter Afrique.
- implement an accounting framework to outline a long-term financial outlook, backed by financial data that will inform strategic decisions and guide Shelter Afrique on risk/reward returns.
- Manage all operations relating to financial management and reporting to ensure an ongoing sustainable business.
- Design robust cost management processes and ensure that they have commensurate levels of approvals and monitoring guidelines across the organization.
- Provide timely and relevant information for key stakeholders (Exco and Board) to implement strategic decisions.
- Evaluate capital expenditure, providing guidance and direction for major items with appropriate stakeholders and submitting for Board approvals where required.
- Timely production of consolidated financial statements and management accounts, maintaining compliance with IFRS and other statutory obligations across the organization.
- Implement a healthy regulatory and compliance culture within Shelter Afrique ensuring integrity, consistency, and professionalism always.
- Develop appropriate schedules of delegated financial authority in collaboration with the executive team.
- Ensure that an effective management system for internal controls is in place, leading and guiding the Finance teams in periodic reviews.
- Lead the financial reporting process enabling efficient and timely production of the monthly and annual accounts to the Managing Director and the Board.
- Provide leadership and mentorship to the Finance teams, dedicating time to coach team members perform to their full potential.
- Working with Human Resources, identify the training needs of the Finance team and ensure processes are in place to support and encourage appropriate personal and professional development of staff within the context of organizational objectives.
- Create a shared vision for own direct reports, shape the finance strategy and operate an efficient finance function in line with Shelter Afrique’s business objectives.
- Maintain professional working relationships with key stakeholders including banks, auditors and answer key financial and business questions posed by these stakeholders and submit reports where required.
Minimum qualifications, skills, and experience
- Master’s degree in business administration (MBA), Economics, Finance, or a related field.
- Professional qualifications such as CPA, ACA, ACCA, ACMA, CFA or equivalent membership to a relevant professional body.
- At least Fifteen (15) years’ financial management experience of which ten (10) must be at senior management level.
- Proficiency in ERP’s especially oracle, loans, and financial management systems.
- Working knowledge of French and English a plus.
- Strong financial management experience and skills (budgets/forecasts capital projects, stakeholder management)
- Excellent analytical skills with the ability to link financial results to operational performance drivers and provide value add insights to the business.
- Strong negotiation and persuasion skills.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Plan and implement financial, operational, management, compliance, and information system audits to ensure internal control frameworks are in place and operating efficiently.
- Prepare the audit methodology and design audit tests and procedures to evaluate internal controls, operations and business risks identified.
- Prepare reports on audit findings for discussion and clarification with the relevant senior management team.
- Provide recommendations during monthly audit meetings towards improving the internal controls, business processes and the quality-of-service delivery.
- Review specific projects relating to the organizations business processes, systems, controls and or operations as approved the Audit Risk and Finance committee or the as stipulated in the annual audit plan.
- Review SHAF’s operations at appropriate intervals to ensure that the instructions, policies, and procedures set out by the management and the board to ensure proper internal controls are adequate, effective, and complied with.
- Coordinate and facilitate external audit activities.
- Conduct special audits and investigations as and when required.
- Provide ongoing technical advice, support and quality assurance to the Board, Senior management team and organization.
Processes and Policies Compliance
Accountable for the proactive development, maintenance and updating of all audit plans and strategies.
- Directs the identification and evaluation of the organization’s risk areas.
- Development and maintenance of an Audit risk management framework and ensuring identified risks are appropriately reflected in annual work plans.
- Development and maintenance of a robust performance audit program to assess and evaluate management’s effectiveness and efficiency use of Shelter Afrique resources.
- Champion best practice in governance, objectively assess the adequacy of governance systems and management of existing risks, comment on responses to emerging risks and propose new developments.
- Oversees the development and execution of the division’s annual risk-based audit work plan and the maintenance, modification, and monitoring of the same.
- Fosters a culture of accountability and integrity within the division and the organization.
- Implementing and overseeing governance processes for appropriate delivery of reports to the Audit Risk Committee
- Implementation of robust, timely and accurate reporting to the Board on key findings from the audited areas.
Human Resources and Development
- Build a high impact, high performance team to successfully execute the division’s work plan.
- Develops and motivates team through leadership development and succession planning.
- Encourages out-of-the-box thinking to develop more efficient and effective audit engagements.
- Develops continuous staff performance evaluations to identify strengths and constructively address areas for improvement.
- Encourage departmental staff to pursue professional development opportunities, including internal and external training and professional association memberships, and sharing information gained with co-workers.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE
- Master’s degree in Accounting, Commerce Finance, Economics, or other business-related subjects
- Relevant professional qualifications including CPA’s ACCA, CIA and or CISA.
- Membership to a globally recognized professional body.
- Proficient working knowledge in Microsoft office, Oracle Systems and Audit Software such as AUDIT Command Language (ACL) IDEA Data analysis software
- Minimum of 10 years related work experience in internal audit.
- Knowledge of Internal Audit Standards, Code of Ethics and other best Practice Auditing and Accounting standards.
- Experience in information systems audit is an added advantage.
- Fluency in both oral and written English and French.
How to ApplyApplicants are invited to send a letter of motivation illustrating their suitability in relation to the qualifications listed and their detailed curriculum vitae, as well as the names and addresses of their referees, to the following address: MD_shaf@africsearch.com Applicants must indicate the reference in the subject line of their email. The deadline for submission is 17th June 2022. Only shortlisted candidates who meet the above requirements will be contacted.
597 total views, 4 today