Full-Time Medical Officer Jobs
Medical Officer Job at Kenya Red Cross Society
Reporting to: Facility In Charge Facility In Charge Facility In Charge
Job Location: Lamu
Kenya Red Cross Society is one of the largest humanitarian organisations in Kenya. Its vision is to be the most effective, most trusted and self-sustaining humanitarian organization in Kenya, serving present and future generations.
The society is set to open a Drugs and Substance abuse Rehabilitation Centre in Hindi, Lamu County. The Centre will provide both Out-patient and In-patient services focusing on prevention, treatment and harm reduction of drugs and substance abuse. The Society is therefore searching for qualified, dedicated and enthusiastic individuals to fill the below position:
Responsible to the Facility In Charge, the medical officer is a General Practitioner, appropriately qualified and registered medical professional with knowledge and skills to provide personal, family and community orientated comprehensive primary and secondary health care services to individuals. MO is responsible for providing patient-centred, culturally appropriate, and individual holistic care to a defined population..
Medical Officer Job Responsibilities
- Review program activities and priorities on a regular basis updating the clinical services coordinator on gaps and/or provide recommendations on how to improve quality of services
- Attend to urgent medical services including resuscitation, stabilization and assessment and diagnosis, treatment and referral as necessary
- Assess the urgency and severity of presenting problems through history taking, examination and investigation.
- Recommending and, where appropriate, undertaking treatment options and carrying out/referring for appropriate interventions and procedures, including but not limited to prescribing, minor surgery and other general practice procedures, counseling, psychological interventions, advising and education.
- Provide timely clinical and culturally appropriate health services through appropriate evidence based screening, risk assessment and early detection of illness, disease and disability.
- Working with public health providers in the prevention and control of communicable diseases for individuals and families.
- Provide ongoing care and support for people with chronic and terminal conditions to reduce deterioration, increase independence and reduce suffering linking, where relevant, with appropriate service providers.
- Comply with established health and safety policies with regard to handling of instruments, storage of drugs and disposal of sharps and other potentially dangerous equipment and substances.
- Liaise with nursing staff regularly to check on patient progress, or more frequently if their condition necessitates.
- To see patients at the request of nurses in charge and carry out examinations of patients.
- Supervise the daily clinical management of all patients in conjunction with the nurse team leaders and attend all post-operative patients on day of operation and every day following.
- Conduct daily ward rounds in the hospital, and regular reviews of in-patients where necessary
- Ensure patient management is in line with the set MOH, WHO and NACADA guidelines and protocols
- Conduct special outpatient clinics in the hospital on the allocated days every week i.e. SOPC, GOPC, HRC, POPC, and MOPC.
- Attend to all medical legal cases, including filling of P3 forms and attend court sessions as required
- Attend to sexual assault survivors on a timely basis in the GBV Support Centre
- Monitor closely the morbidity and mortality trends together with all the other health indicators in the HMIS to ensure that prompt actions are taken.
Qualifications for the Medical Officer Job
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery from a recognized college/University
- At least two (2) years’ experience of working in a busy hospital
- Valid practising licence with the Kenya Medical Practitioners and Dentist Board
- Strong communication skills: oral, written and presentation skills.
- Should be a team player and culturally sensitive.
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets and utilization of the internet.
- Excellent report writing skills.
- Strong leadership, team building, conflict resolution and ability to deliver the Society’s strategic objectives.
- Previous work experience in a rehabilitation centre setting is an added advantage
- Extremely flexible, and have the ability to cope with stressful situations.
- Ability to maintains high level of confidentiality, remain open to new ideas and experiment with improved systems and proven methods
- Ability to make consultative decisions, facilitate particitipative decision-making process and explain reasoning for decisions
- Demonstrated proficiency in computer applications such as word processing, spreadsheets, database, email and utilization of the internet.
How to ApplyInterested candidates who meet the above qualifications should send their applications to the address below on or before 10th August2018. Secretary General Kenya Red Cross Society P.O. Box 40712-00100, Nairobi Applications should have a cover letter, curriculum vitae, copies of relevant certificates and practicing licence where applicable, names and contacts of three referees. Job disclaimer and notification: Kenya Red Cross Society does not charge / accept any amount or security deposit from job seekers during the selection process or while inviting candidates for an interview.
293 total views, 2 today